Sunday, January 11, 2009

Why are we going?

March 13, 2008 I (Camille) attended the Denver Microcredit Summit where I listened to Mohammad Yunus, Nobel laureate, founder of Grameen Bank speak volumes on possibility, empowerment and dignity. John Hatch of FINCA, spoke about going past reading about poverty and advocating for poverty (though there is strong need to continue this) to coming face to face with poverty. Getting "fire in your belly" to fight for those who, when given the smallest amount of opportunity, rise out of poverty. I immediately wanted "fire" not only in my belly but the bellies of my dearest...my children and husband. When I brought it up to Rusty he was instantaneously as excited as me! We even have friends who were going to be living in Dhaka, Bangladesh who welcomed the idea of visitors! What would it mean to leave our country to seek out new cultural experiences, test the morals we stand upon and face what I most passionately advocate against...poverty. I'm curious how we will synthesize the entire experience of face to face with the people, environment, school, business, economy, dress, food, behavior, simple activities of daily living... We are thrilled to duck out from under the social umbrella of the United States feel that freedom of exploration. Thankfully we have a strong foundation of family on which we will be leaning on I am sure! We are equally anticipating the transition back after a month of travel, the appreciation of what we have, what we take for granted both in the freedom of our country and the simplicity of surviving in others. What it will actually be in detail we are ready to encounter. Welcome to our blog as we begin our journey of exploration of world and self.

1 comment:

Cara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.